Friday, January 1, 2010

The New Year

2009 flew by, and so much happened it's sort of pointless to try and summarize it all here. To hit the major points of the last few months, all I really need to say is that Garrett is here, healthy, and an amazing little creature that leaves me awe-struck every time I look at him. It's enough to make me forgive the time he's cut out of my knitting (haha).

I've never been much for new year's resolutions, but I think this year I'm going to make an effort...there are other people who will benefit from my self-improvement, and while I might not be motivated enough to make changes for myself, I love them more than enough to at least try.

The big thing is to try and keep things better organized. We're still unpacking from the move, and aren't likely to be finished any time soon since the flooring in the baby's room isn't done yet. I refuse to unpack only to have everything covered in saw dust, so our room is still an obstacle course. Once we CAN unpack though, I want to try and find a place for everything, and to keep it there. I've been systematically opening boxes of clothing to try things on, and have ousted more than half of what I've seen. Between things not fitting properly after 9 months of pregnancy (the hips are wider and aren't likely to magically go back, so there's no point trying to keep pants that won't zip) and them just being old and worn out-I'm not keeping anything that was purchased in middle or high school-most of the things that I've been carrying around the past few years are better off in a thrift store than in my closet. As I slowly replace things, I'm going to try and make sure I have a slightly more adult wardrobe. I don't know what the heck I'm going to be doing in the coming year, but I do know I'm tired of feeling shlubby all the time. Garrett deserves to NOT look like he's the spawn of poor white trash.

As far as this all applies to knitting, I've already gone through my Ravelry projects and queue to remove things I'm not doing and tagged the queued items and moved them to favorites so the queue is ACTUALLY a working queue. I'm going to try and keep better track of all those bajillions of patterns I have marked, and am going to figure out the stash thingie to get the yarn under control. I have to go through everything I have, put it in there, and then go through and see what I can make on the queue or in the faves from what I already have. Money's just too tight to go out and buy more yarn every time I get the itch to cast on. I also need to finish frogging the sweaters I bought at the thrift store to salvage the yarn, which will increase the stash as well. Having it in Rav will help me keep track of the salvaged fiber contents as well (hopefully!).


Anyway, on to current projects. I have a skein of really pretty brown Berocco Ultra Alpaca that Jen sent to me via Harlan, which I've been eyeing and dying to cast on since it came home. I exercised a little self-control though, and (mostly) finished Mom's holiday stocking first. Granted, I still need to graft the toe and pick up the afterthought heel, but the main part is complete and really, it's not like it's going to get any use before next December anyway. The baby needs pants NOW! So I have my favorite Chiagoo bamboo needles poised and ready to go, after a bit of time looking over different soaker patterns I decided to splice a few together. Between the Spare Ribs pattern and the Curly Purly one, I think I'll get the fitted waist I want to reduce bulk and the stretchiness to let the kiddo grow into it a bit...not to mention the room for the various flat and prefold diapers that add all different amounts of poof to his butt. I'll keep you posted on how it goes, and if things work I'll put up the spliced pattern I came up with.

If things work the way I hope they will, I'm going to try some foot-up longies starting with the stay-put bootie pattern. The ones I made from the leftover Merino 5 are fantastic, but are going to be too small for him soon. We also have a definitive lack of pants, so I think it'd be a good idea to try some footies.


All this talk of soakers is too much--I have to go cast on now. But my other resolution is to post here at least once a week, just to keep my head straight. Maybe next time I'll bemoan my inability to find a suitable yarn for Mom's Zora.

No comments: