Sunday, January 31, 2010

So Far, No Good

I've made a lot of fuss about wanting to get my stash organised this year, but so far my progress has been nil. I blame the ongoing construction, not only for my dismal lack of progress but for some several tears shed on behalf of the stash.

Several bags (hey, the cedar lined trunk isn't big enough fr everyone, so some had to go into bags...they're the good reusable ones though, I'd never be caught dead with plastic) were put into what will be the baby's room, when it's all said and done. This happened after the majority of the flooring was laid, after which there was a lull as Link waited for another box of said flooring to finish it off. It was one of those excruciatingly frustrating moments similar to nearing the end of a project only to find you don't have enough yarn to bind off...not pretty. After the flooring made it home, I never really stopped to consider all the stuff in the room because it usually takes the boys a while to get things moving.
You can imagine my surprise, then, when I woke from a nap downstairs to find the floors complete...with the saw set up practically on top of a nigh-overflowing bag of yarn. The victory of a finished room was shattered by the layer of sawdust that's covering EVERYTHING. Yarn, love seat, pack-n-plays, you name it, it's all filthy. The chore I now have in front of me includes re-laundering anything that will fit in the washing machine, and doing my best to clean by hand anything that won't...including the walls.
The real heart breaker was the yarn though, since very little of what I have is washable. I stood there crying for a few minutes before flying into a raging fury and spent the rest of the day stomping around with a repeating litany of "Why didn't they TELL me they were doing the floor?! Or, heaven freaking forbid, think to MOVE THINGS OUT F THE ROOM BEFORE THEY STARTED SAWING?! Or cover it! We have miles of painter's plastic lying around, how hard would that have been?!" Not that righteous indignation has ever really gotten me anywhere, or magically removed depressing amounts of sawdust from a substantial amount of yarn.

This all happened last month, and as yet I've made no move to correct it. Why, you ask? Because now they're constructing WALLS. The mess makes me miss the good old days of floor installation. It's a good wall, necessary even, and the closet will make life appreciably easier once it's in. But for the time being, it's miserable and dusty and dangerous as lumber and furniture and scraps of drywall get shifted around a very tight space. I already have plans to move downstairs into the spare room with Garrett when sanding begins, because that's just going to be too much. I'll have to take some refuge yarn with me as well.

1 comment:

Lady Eggplant said...

Oh no! where are these walls going up? upstairs??
You could try vacuuming the yarn, or shaking it out vehemently, OR! using compressed air.
My vote is for compressed air.

Hopefully the construction will be done soon, can't wait to see!!

xx